Saturday 9 January 2010

Crafted Words

"Competence in craft and technique frees the artist to make the broadest and most specific statement; but craft cannot be the end statement. The tinniest automobile is much better constructed than the best work of art"
Edward Higgins

"A medium need not sit in isolated purity. It has always been my contention that the first objective is to achieve a compelling image, and that aim demands a felicity in its implementation.......In accordance with my practice of setting no limits on subject matter, nor stylistic languages of expression, I see no virtue in circumscribing the technical means of realization. The image will always be more important than the rationale of its execution".
Richard Hamilton

"It is no longer necessary to know how to do something, but how to have something done.."
Victor Vasarely

"My belief in process is that if you follow it, it will take you somewhere. But it's not the process itself that is important. I'm not just displaying what the process does. If the process doesn't make something interesting, then throw out the process altogether or alter it by intervening somewhere in the process."
Chuck Close

"I only ever think of technologies in terms of what I want to do with them and how I want something to look ....... I have to say I have limited interest in techniques I'm only interested in how they serve me"
Michael Craig Martin

"I don't think I would say a certain image asks for a certain technique. The mind can work in such a way that the image and technique come as one thought, or possibly one might say there is no thought. One works without thinking how to work"
Jasper Johns

"The manner of painting and materials used seem expendable to me just as long as they serve the idea"
James Rosenquist

No comments: